[nmglug] WWW service provided

Aaron Birenboim aaron at boim.com
Mon Feb 28 14:51:54 PST 2011

I need to find a new Internet hosting provider.
All I used them for was:

  * e-mail forwarding
       - forward the vanity domain addresses to appropriate
              yahoo/google mail accounts
  * DNS management
      - use their DNS server to point some sub-domains
         to the static IPs at our office
  * WWW/storage?
        We really did not use WWW,
        We just used the WWW storage area
        for on-line backups.

Both godaddy and 1and1 offer WWW hosting plans
with 150-250 GB storage for around $10/month.
*** Anybody know if we will be able to get away with
*** using them as detailed above?
i.e.  We really didn't use the WWW hosting,
      but we pushed some cyphertext up there for backup.

Both claim some sort of ssh access.
It is my hope that we can find a way to run
something like rsync over that ssh,
and perhaps make our cyphertext non-readable
to the WWW server.  Worst case, put
it in a folder that is shut off using
  .htaccess?

The off-line storage will be just for a few critical things,
like source code repositories.
I think we can keep it to about 10-40GB (depending on pruning),
with very little storage update bandwidth.

  Thanks for any advice,

         aaron