[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Jan 5 07:37:07 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:04 AM, a wrote:

> Brian;
> Allow me to answer for Anthony,that BoBo,an aspersion not to be taken
> personally.
> He probably should have copied /home to usb drive using. cp -dpr
> sourcedirectory destinationdirectory.
> a friend.

Anthony;

Hmmm.  Boy, I'm sure sorry about that (data loss).  I reviewed my 2
cents posted on Dec. 30, 2010 to be sure the "back up up your home
directory in its entirety (rsync, tar, etc.)" was suggested.

Looking to the future: since we've been speaking of disk cloning here
on NMLUG, that's a great way to ensure one has an entire backup of a
system before reinstall (if one has two drives of equal capacity or  a
second destination drive to copy to of greater capacity).

Another good trick for the future is to use RAID-1 (two drives,
synced) and then add, sync and remove a third RAID-1 member before
doing the reinstall  There are means of converting single drive
installs to RAID-1.

-Nick

On Dec 30, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Nick Frost wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2010, at 8:45 PM, David Borton wrote:
>
>> I did this recently.   I simply saved the data I wanted (all of
>> home/~) onto an external USB drive, installed 10.10, mounted the
>> USB again and copied in the files (cp -r).    You might not want to
>> bring in all of /home/~, but just focus on actual data.  Bringing
>> in everything would likely screw up your login.
>
> ("would likely screw up your login") unless you exclude all dot
> files ".". Typically mail folders are in ~mail and/or .thunderbird
> or .mozilla-thunderbird, etc.  It's the .gnome, .gconf, .gcon2, and
> that sort of stuff that may cause issues if you restore those "."
> directories from and older install to a newer one.
>
> So, you could simply back up your home directory in its entirety
> (rsync, tar, etc.), install a new Ubuntu and manually migrate your
> data back.  Thunderbird email is easy to restore.

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508
nickf at frostitute.com