[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Thu Jan 6 08:49:39 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 09:21 -0700, BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> Hi A,
>
> I don't use cron and do the backups when I remember to, mainly because
> my box isn't always running. I do a manual backup about once a week,
> depending on usage.
> Back in time should restore anything that it has backed up and I can't
> imagine why it wouldn't.
> Can't help on the terminal output, sorry, I use the GUI for Flyback.
> Check the web for forums and see if that can help you.

an alternative worth exploring is using git for version controlling your
files, (time machine style)
it uses a little more space, but if you care about changed content, it
helps you recover older configurations or overwritten data,
in the servers I almost always run git on the /etc/ folder and commit
changes with cron every day