[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Jan 5 09:02:55 PST 2011

On 01/05/2011 09:32 AM, Eric Krieger wrote:
> Here's hoping that Oracle GPLs ZFS finally then backups could be...
>
> zfs snapshot vol0/home/gcleric at hourly.*
>
> Or to send a zfs snap to a home server via ssh from anywhere...
>
> zfs send vol0/home/gcleric at hourly.* | ssh host2 zfs recv server/backup
>
> One can dream... =)
Hehe, agreed!  Back in 2006 I flew out to San Francisco to install a
file server (NFS, AFP, SMB.....on Solaris 10 x86).  I came back 10
months later not sure what I'd find and....;
# uptime
  10:10am  up 297 day(s), 16:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.05, 0.02

I save it for posterity.

At the time there wasn't snapshot ageing for ZFS but I'd written
something that allowed for that and not only was the server running fine
(zero maintenance)
the ZFS snapshot backups (a months worth) were as well.

While I know a lot of developers who don't like Solaris, luckily we
still have many SPARC and x86 Solaris 10 boxen here at $client-job-1;
they tend to just run and run. I lost track of the longest uptime but I
think it was 400+ days.

I agree with you Eric...I think ZFS is the best filesystem since sliced
bread.  We had a box that failed two drives (raidz2) and ZFS kindly
reported that we should restore two specific files from tape and install
two drives...then the server kept running happily along.

I think if one were to build a home file server for archiving a music
collection, it would be hard to do better than ZFS...the only thing that
offers bitwise data integrity/checking. FreeNAS it all the easier.

-Nick