[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Eric Krieger grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 5 09:22:23 PST 2011

Agreed.  I was running zfs-fuse on my linux home server for a while
and enjoyed it but the overhead of fuse was a little much and reads
and writes were slow.  What I really liked, apart from snapshots and
ease is creating raid sets,  was that I could import my zpools into
either freebsd, opensolaris or solaris if I partitioned my discs under
linux with a single partiton before creating the zpools under
zfs-fuse.  I love ZFS... as I'm a NetApp guy...  ZFS has a very
similar command set as that use on DataONTAP.

e.g.

NetApp:

snap create vol snapname

ZFS:

zfs snapshot vol at snapname

I've read that Debian has ZFS available in both Sid and Squeeze...

http://robertmh.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/about-zfs-in-squeeze-2/

Eric