[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Jan 5 09:30:59 PST 2011

On 01/05/2011 10:22 AM, Eric Krieger wrote:
> Agreed.  I was running zfs-fuse on my linux home server for a while
> and enjoyed it but the overhead of fuse was a little much and reads
> and writes were slow.
Hmm, very interesting.  FUSE implements ZFS via userspace does it
not...or am I confused?  If so I'd guess that's there the lag is, in
part, from.
>   What I really liked, apart from snapshots and
> ease is creating raid sets,  was that I could import my zpools into
> either freebsd, opensolaris or solaris if I partitioned my discs under
> linux with a single partiton before creating the zpools under
> zfs-fuse.  I love ZFS... as I'm a NetApp guy...  ZFS has a very
> similar command set as that use on DataONTAP.
I think Netapp gets a bad rap.  A place I used to work still has
Netapp's for homedirs and they are great!  For the people who understand
what ONTAP's WAFL (Write Anywhere File Layout) is and the Netapp
snapshots...it's incredible stuff...very good tech.  I thought I'd read
somewhere that Netapp was litigating against Sun's ZFS based on the
appropriation of WAFL technology and it's incorporation in ZFS;

http://www.sun.com/lawsuit/zfs/

Anyway....thanks for the link. I am going to have to check out ZFS in
Debian's Squeeze....that sounds mighty appealing!

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508