[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Eric Krieger grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 6 04:07:14 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Nick Frost <nickf at frostitute.com> wrote:

> Hmm, very interesting.  FUSE implements ZFS via userspace does it not...or
> am I confused?  If so I'd guess that's there the lag is, in part, from.

Yes it does.

> I think Netapp gets a bad rap.  A place I used to work still has Netapp's
> for homedirs and they are great!  For the people who understand what ONTAP's
> WAFL (Write Anywhere File Layout) is and the Netapp snapshots...it's
> incredible stuff...very good tech.

My only complaint about NetApp is the price of their stuff (i.e. NFS
License = $13000 per filer).    The 2 big advantages of NetApp is that
all of it's software is included within DataONTAP OS, which is based
on BSD, and is simply unlocked with a key the other is it's snapshots.
 Unlike other SAN manufactures that create delta files for snaps
NetApp uses block level locking and block pointing at the 4k level.
So no additional  files are created as a result and less space used.
Also there's less of an i/o hit when snaps are taken.  Very cool
stuff.

> I thought I'd read somewhere that Netapp
> was litigating against Sun's ZFS based on the appropriation of WAFL
> technology and it's incorporation in ZFS;
>
> http://www.sun.com/lawsuit/zfs/

Yea...but that is all been dismissed.  I think it was more of a
personality conflict between NetApp's CEO and Sun's.  They had quite
the little blog war going on too.