[nmglug] ping -p ff , bad checksums, isp 5GHz wireless, lost packets?

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Sun Jan 9 08:22:22 PST 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 5:12 AM, a wrote:

> In a nutshell recap,I have not been able to get a good checksum(8-10
> tries over several days) for Ubuntu Distro server with laptop wired to
> router, from my home location through the ISP 5GHz wireless internet
> connect.
> While using that same laptop,same server address request, similarly
> wired connect at ISP  office resulted in good checksum.
> Santa Fe baking Co.same laptop and reflector wireless 801.11 connect,
> good checksum.

Anthony;

Hmmm.  Interesting.  What happens if you download and checksum (with
md5sum) the following files containing random data;

for files in *.bin ; do md5sum $files; done

f4404f2a9c9699213c75d4bc2502b058  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile1-Jan-09-2011.bin
be2cedfd4a0c1ed319056aa169723d19  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile2-Jan-09-2011.bin
31a20fd8dd432bd81560b39ddbe5193a  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile3-Jan-09-2011.bin

do the checksums match after downloading?

Is this a new installation where the problem is occurring or an
upgraded one and if so what version (e.g. 10.04, etc.)?

> Your request MTR,I am leaving the search for the Distro address,unless
> you feels it is still relevant considering the nutshell description:
> www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
> "No whois server is known for this kind of object"

So, when you  open a shell on your machine and type 'whois ubuntu.com'
is a result similar to the following returned?

whois ubuntu.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

    Domain Name: UBUNTU.COM
    Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.