[nmglug] ping -p ff , bad checksums, isp 5GHz wireless, lost packets?

a a at kaluta.us
Sun Jan 9 12:56:53 PST 2011

Nick
We have a case here of a senior linux fellow,Nick, talking to someone
contentedly splashing in the kiddie pool.I appreciate your efforts.
Your instruction with "for files in *.bin ... do the checksums match
after downloading?
I am searching around the internet attempting an assembly of background
information to comprehend your advice.
On Jan 9, 2011, at 5:12 AM, a wrote:

> > In a nutshell recap,I have not been able to get a good checksum(8-10
> > tries over several days) for Ubuntu Distro server with laptop wired to
> > router, from my home location through the ISP 5GHz wireless internet
> > connect.
> > While using that same laptop,same server address request, similarly
> > wired connect at ISP  office resulted in good checksum.
> > Santa Fe baking Co.same laptop and reflector wireless 801.11 connect,
> > good checksum.
>
> Anthony;
>
> Hmmm.  Interesting.  What happens if you download and checksum (with
> md5sum) the following files containing random data;
>
> for files in *.bin ; do md5sum $files; done
>
> f4404f2a9c9699213c75d4bc2502b058  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile1-Jan-09-2011.bin
> be2cedfd4a0c1ed319056aa169723d19  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile2-Jan-09-2011.bin
> 31a20fd8dd432bd81560b39ddbe5193a  http://www.frostitute.com/testfile3-Jan-09-2011.bin
>
> do the checksums match after downloading?
>
> Is this a new installation where the problem is occurring or an
> upgraded one and if so what version (e.g. 10.04, etc.)?
In brief,the futile attempt began with trying an ubuntu upgrade,on a
dark and rainy night,perhaps a year or more ago,the ubuntu version now
long forgotten, ....
I have been spurred on recently,toward seeking a solution,after noticing
the update manager included kernel ending with .22 and apparently
installed along with error notation?.After that kernel .22 install?,
I could not longer boot except by using kernel ending .16 still existing
as a boot option.More recently, when doing a new program install, that
program did an automatic kernel upgrade to .22 as part of the install.
Again I could not boot except using kernel ending .14 another boot
option,most apparently,this perspective is  technically limited.

Eventually I did a new install,ubuntu 10.10,from disk which noted
errors,possible errors from the internet updates.I did not do a checksum
on the CD from QSDisc,

Thanks for all the information contained in this post.

Anthony