[nmglug] ping -p ff , bad checksums, isp 5GHz wireless, lost packets?

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Sun Jan 9 14:11:03 PST 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 1:56 PM, a wrote:

> Nick
> We have a case here of a senior linux fellow,Nick, talking to someone
> contentedly splashing in the kiddie pool.I appreciate your efforts.
> Your instruction with "for files in *.bin ... do the checksums match
> after downloading?

Sorry.  You can skip/ignore that first line, it was from an hasty copy/
paste operation.  The idea was simply to give you an independent
download test of three files (at the links provided) to see if the
checksums match to determine if data corruption is occurring on
downloads over your Internet connection.

So, if you want to test for that you can download those three files
and then do "md5sum <filename" on each, for example after downloading
the first file at: http://www.frostitute.com/testfile1-Jan-09-2011.bin

you would then do;

md5sum testfile1-Jan-09-2011.bin

and the checksum should be;

>> f4404f2a9c9699213c75d4bc2502b058

as listed to the left of the file in the previous post.

I hope that helps,

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325