[nmglug] e-book reader

Steve Katona srtraveler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:28:25 PST 2011

I have a Kindle and bought one for my wife. I use Ubuntu. You will need
Calibre--free, any OS--to take advantage of all the free books available.
Calibre will convert just about anything to your Kindle format and send it
to your Kindle FOC. Lots of things are available in PDF that read nicely on
your KIndle. I first had the 3G and wireless version but realized I was only
using the wireless so save yourself $50 unless it's unimportant. Using the
Kindle to web surf is really clunky and IMHO unsatisfactory except when no
other option is available.

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Andres Paglayan <andres at paglayan.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Now that there's enough variety, I am about to pull the trigger and get an
> e-book reader.
> Does anybody have a favorite (or a do not buy advice) with these devices?(
> Linux, non DRM, etc, etc)
>
> Thanks
>
> Andres

Retired dilettante, Registered Linux user #500676, Registered Ubuntu user
#29795 "Things come and go, don't satisfy, and ain't us." (Daniel Ingram)