[nmglug] e-book reader

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Thu Jan 13 09:39:49 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 10:27 AM, Eric Krieger wrote:
> Call me masochistic but I like using both the Kindle and Google Books
> apps on my Android phone.
and possessed of exceptional vision.  I can read a page or two of news
now and then on my Android phone and that's about all I can take.
However, videos work well now with flash 10.1 running under a custom ROM.

back to the topic at hand....Disclaimer: I don't own an e-reader...

Ipad?  I don't have one but I've used them for a few hours and they
double as a decent portable computing platform in addition to reading
device.

The Kindle has the advantage of a display technology
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper) that provides
exceptional readability in broad daylight (not so with Ipad and your
average computer screen).  My colleague at $job_1 has a new Kindle and a
couple weeks ago we went outside to check the display in sunlight and
the results were most impressive.  However, IMHO the same display tech
doesn't necessarily lend itself so well to mobile computing, but to each
his/her own.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325