[nmglug] VOIP Asterisk

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed May 11 08:29:30 PDT 2011

Setting up a 100% voip environment is not expensive,
The cost increases when you need to add hardware to connect to legacy
phones, or legacy phone lines,
To have an idea about voip-phones and the card prices look at
voipsupply.com,

Almost any oldy will work as a server, and there are many Asterisk
distributions that will work well out of the box,
(I have a trixbox running on a pentium 4 for 5 years at home, and even
my android runs an app that hooks as an extension to my home pbx)

The installation is very easy for somebody who know linux,
and the configuration, having a gui interface is painless,

As using voip includes contracting with a voip termination provider (I
use teliax.com)
other options are just skipping your box and using their pbx like
environment (a la vonage)
but that might not be suitable if you want to use advanced pbx stuff,

If you tell a little more about the environment I could help better,
(number of extension, pre-existing hardware, availability or not of
ethernet wiring)