[nmglug] VOIP Asterisk

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Wed May 11 12:44:06 PDT 2011

My existing system has two incoming phone lines and six extensions.

Features that I consider critical are:
- the ability for a person to answer during business hours and switch to auto
attendant after hours.
- individual voice mail for each employee with the ability to forward the
messages to the employee's email.

I also have a Taos office and the plan is to get rid of the physical phone line
in Taos, forward the number to the Santa Fe office and set up a VOIP extension
in the Taos Office.

The existing two phone lines are actually VOIP from Comcast. They are
connected with a
Touchstone® Telephony Modem TM604G with Integrated Battery Back-up
http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/listers/index.asp?id=430
This converts the data on the cable (DOCIS) to two POTS lines.
I wonder if I can get rid of this and just get the VOIP straight into the
Asterisk box? One twist to that is that my alarm system requires physical
phone lines so I would need to figure out a different alarm monitoring plan.
Converting the alarm monitoring to broadband monitoring appears to be doable
and may actually save money in the long run.

The six extensions are currently old phones that I had before the Talkswitch
PBX installation. They are two line phones but only use one line. I would not
mind replacing these with IP phones.

I have two Linksys SPA941 IP phones. One was intended to be for the Taos office
and one for my home.

Mars

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 9:29:30 am Andres Paglayan wrote:
> Setting up a 100% voip environment is not expensive,
> The cost increases when you need to add hardware to connect to legacy
> phones, or legacy phone lines,
> To have an idea about voip-phones and the card prices look at
> voipsupply.com,
>
> Almost any oldy will work as a server, and there are many Asterisk
> distributions that will work well out of the box,
> (I have a trixbox running on a pentium 4 for 5 years at home, and even
> my android runs an app that hooks as an extension to my home pbx)
>
> The installation is very easy for somebody who know linux,
> and the configuration, having a gui interface is painless,
>
> As using voip includes contracting with a voip termination provider (I
> use teliax.com)
> other options are just skipping your box and using their pbx like
> environment (a la vonage)
> but that might not be suitable if you want to use advanced pbx stuff,
>
> If you tell a little more about the environment I could help better,
> (number of extension, pre-existing hardware, availability or not of
> ethernet wiring)
>
> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 15:39 -0600, J. Marsden DeLapp wrote:
> > I am looking for some advice on setting up a PBX system that includes
> > VOIP.
> >

> > I currently have a proprietary PBX system  (Talkswitch 280vs) that could
> > do VOIP if I add a $500 module to it.
> >
> > How easy is it to setup an Asterisk based PBX? and what do they cost?
> >

> > Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Road Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com