[nmglug] VOIP Asterisk

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Wed May 11 19:27:46 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 13:44 -0600, J. Marsden DeLapp wrote:
> My existing system has two incoming phone lines and six extensions.

hardware wise you have three options:

all voip:
  you'll need to migrate your numbers over the voip termination
  provider (but you can test the whole setup before doing so)

  You'll need 6 voip extensions (mix and match) the options are
    - desktop phones start at $50 an up.
      (avoid cisco phones as you'll need to flash the firmware)
    - you can load sip soft phones in android phones
      and use them as extension under wifi (free)
    - computer soft phone, like zoiper, (free)
    - usb handset for computer software phone,
      (like a desktop phone, but uses the computer cycles)

All POTS:
  you'll need 2 FXO and 6 FXS ports, ~$700
  it will take two card slots and the only way to expand expansion is
voip,

MIXED:
  you can connect one line to the telco,
  and some extension to regular phones,
  (it's the only environment in which a fax works reliably, provided
   you don't echo cancel in the fax port)
  you'll need 1 FXS (or two if you want to keep the two pots),
  and as many FXOs ports as you want to connect
  to regular phones, 2 recommended, ~$300
  you can have as many voip extension as you want with

  I have exactly this with a digium card with 1 FXO and 3 FXS,
  and also gave voip extensions to many friends abroad

I'd avoid any virtual machine as sometimes they may introduce some
clocking problems, and asterisk is extremely clock sensitive

> Features that I consider critical are:
> - the ability for a person to answer during business hours and switch to auto
> attendant after hours.
> - individual voice mail for each employee with the ability to forward the
> messages to the employee's email.

all work out of the box,

> I also have a Taos office and the plan is to get rid of the physical phone line
> in Taos, forward the number to the Santa Fe office and set up a VOIP extension
> in the Taos Office.

there are some ports that need forwarding, and some ranges as well,
you must have control of the router and the router needs to let you you
do a range forward to an internal ip, QoS is good to have as well at
your router,

> The existing two phone lines are actually VOIP from Comcast. They are
> connected with a
> Touchstone® Telephony Modem TM604G with Integrated Battery Back-up
> http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/listers/index.asp?id=430
> This converts the data on the cable (DOCIS) to two POTS lines.
> I wonder if I can get rid of this and just get the VOIP straight into the
> Asterisk box?

nope, they use a proprietary protocol,
probably best to switch the termination service over other company,
plus it is known that comcast does some nasty stuff to other sip traffic

> One twist to that is that my alarm system requires physical
> phone lines so I would need to figure out a different alarm monitoring plan.
> Converting the alarm monitoring to broadband monitoring appears to be doable
> and may actually save money in the long run.

In this case then you'll need at least one FXS port,
or you might be fine with an ATA box,
they provide a phone jack and bridge to the PBX via sip
I have one sitting around if you want to try it,
(they are old and probably a bit more cumbersome to set-up)

You can test an ATA box directly to see if the alarm protocol is
supported, like:  alarm <-> ata <-> voip provider

and then when you have your pbx you change to:
alarm <-> ata <-> PBX <-> voip provider

> The six extensions are currently old phones that I had before the Talkswitch
> PBX installation. They are two line phones but only use one line. I would not
> mind replacing these with IP phones.
>
> I have two Linksys SPA941 IP phones. One was intended to be for the Taos office
> and one for my home.

That's a good start,
you can open a pay as you go account at a place like teliax,
and start playing with the phones,
I pay around $25 per month with 3 numbers (DIDs),