[nmglug] A Linux get together

David Thomas dthomasdigital at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 09:05:19 PST 2012

Well my post to the various Linux groups got a pretty good response and I
wanted to follow up and give a bit of history about why I'd like to, as I
put it, come up with a "State of the State of Linux in New Mexico.

About 2 years ago the Linux group for the distribution Ubuntu (commonly
known as the Ubuntu LoCo) was pretty mature. Lots
of members actively meeting on-line and in person, we held some events and
even started to organize a convention of sorts. But in the last few years
we've slowed down and I must say I was almost completely out of the
picture. While I can't devote as much time as I once did a new job has come
along and I'm able to participate again. So here I am.

The NMGLUG appears to still be active, and their mailing list is always
full of good information. The other groups in the state may be active as
well but I've not seen much activity from mailing list and other contact
methods.

The irony is that Linux really looks poised to become very active even more
than it all ready is and gaming, the proverbial Achilles heel of Linux, has
really started to may some real in-roads in the last few months with STEAM
and the Unity game engine being ported over.

So with all that in mind we've (Ubuntu LoCo) has a IRC meeting set up on
the 18th  to talk about the details of getting together and  seeing just
what state we are in with this Linux thing, details can be found here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/December_18_2012

Please invite and pass along this information to others I may not know
about. I'll be posting as much info as I can on the Ubuntu LoCo wiki,
but remember this is more about Linux than anything else.

Hope to see and talk to you all soon.

David Thomas