[nmglug] adding new user to Ubuntu

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Thu Jul 5 13:51:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:39:03PM -0600, rob jackson wrote:
>    Anyone try playing with the Debian GNU/Hurd instead of the Debian
>    GNU/Linux? Just want some feedback if anyone has played with it and their
>    experiences whether positive or negative.
>
>    I'm looking at you Sam. I know you are a Debian freak.

I've cranked it up in a VM once or twice, presumably in preparation for
the day that my GNUista credentials would be called into question... :)

Other than being confused by the BSDish partition naming, I didn't
notice anything particularly interesting, at least not for someone like
myself who knows little to nothing about kernel internals.
My understanding is that the drivers in the HURD just aren't there to
make it viable for use on much hardware.

The kernel, Linux has an awful lot of momentum, it seems unlikely that
as a community, GNU users are going want to give up the thousands or
millions of hours that have gone into it's development.

I hope most people here are aware of the Linux-Libre project, headed by
Alex Oliva. It's a very small patchset to the kernel linux that strips
out the non-free firmware blobs which ship in the kernel.org version of
linux. And it's recently become a GNU project:
http://directory.fsf.org/project/linux

So now we can all be more Freetarded than our housemates can stand, and
still have no need to try to actually _run_ the HURD!

--
sam
FSF Associate Member #4914 ;)