[nmglug] adding new user to Ubuntu

rob jackson rjackson1969 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 17:51:06 PDT 2012

k...

Have you tried the *minix* <http://www.minix3.org/>? Supposed to be a mini
linux kernel.

I love my ubuntu but started looking around for fun when I saw Finland
stroking Linus Torvald's ego again with some kind of lifetime award blah
blah blah. Got grossed out a bit because IMO... that guy does not need any
ego steroids.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Sam Noble <s at mnoble.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:39:03PM -0600, rob jackson wrote:
> >    Anyone try playing with the Debian GNU/Hurd instead of the Debian
> >    GNU/Linux? Just want some feedback if anyone has played with it and
> their
> >    experiences whether positive or negative.
> >
> >    I'm looking at you Sam. I know you are a Debian freak.
>
> I've cranked it up in a VM once or twice, presumably in preparation for
> the day that my GNUista credentials would be called into question... :)
>
> Other than being confused by the BSDish partition naming, I didn't
> notice anything particularly interesting, at least not for someone like
> myself who knows little to nothing about kernel internals.
> My understanding is that the drivers in the HURD just aren't there to
> make it viable for use on much hardware.
>
> The kernel, Linux has an awful lot of momentum, it seems unlikely that
> as a community, GNU users are going want to give up the thousands or
> millions of hours that have gone into it's development.
>
> I hope most people here are aware of the Linux-Libre project, headed by
> Alex Oliva. It's a very small patchset to the kernel linux that strips
> out the non-free firmware blobs which ship in the kernel.org version of
> linux. And it's recently become a GNU project:
> http://directory.fsf.org/project/linux
>
> So now we can all be more Freetarded than our housemates can stand, and
> still have no need to try to actually _run_ the HURD!
>
> --
> sam
> FSF Associate Member #4914 ;)

   When I came back to Dublin I was court martialed in my absence and
   sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my
   absence. - *Brendan F Behan*