[nmglug] Ubuntu Distributions,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:21:46 PDT 2012

To All, Thank you. Let me add some further thoughts:
I have used Mint on a trial basis, for a while I liked it well enough. but
it is a re-mix of Ubuntu and contains more of the non-free bits already
installed. That makes it easier to use, but is a compromise with the
freedom standards. Also, is Mint on any kind of 'long term' cycle? I ask
because I am thinking about installing a system for myself that I can
install for others and then feel able to offer support and sincere
encouragement to the new user. (This will include new users who are not
interested in how it works, but in actually using the OS to do chores.
Gnome 3 is not as user friendly nor customizable as Gnome 2.x. I did look
at the Gnome usability project, but I did not feel it was the answer. So, I
am falling back on KDE, a desktop I have used and now seems to have both
menus and settings for the user.
My choice of a desktop will be for myself and for ease of helping others
use the same one. I can always work my way through whatever I can see, but
coaching over the phone for a rarely used desktop is frustrating for both
myself and the other user.
Suse is an 'rpm' based package system and, though interesting in general,
got a bad reputation for having been involved with Novell and the Microsoft
Corporation. Users and administrators will note that the directory tree is
different from the Debian directory tree. Now that I am familiar with one
tree I favor staying there. Like knowing the streets of a favorite city.
Mars,  thank you for the 'vrms' "Virtual Richard M. Stallman," application.
I am sure I have the jdk and know about some of the issues, also use mp3
and dvd codecs. I am encouraged by the conversations, here and on the bus,
about how easy Debian testing is in use and install.
To all: thank you for all the feedback. Let's keep talking. My next
question for you is, "How many new users do you support?" "How many
non-technical users?" My personal goal is to help others join us in using
free software because is is better.

Ted P.