[nmglug] installs and magic words

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Thu Mar 29 12:22:22 PDT 2012

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:42:24 AM Ted Pomeroy <ted.pome at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The wifi issues may be related to the rather unique Laclinux hardware.
> I have not had time to check the pci slot itself and I have not
> reviewed dmesg output for clues about the pci route for wifi.

As I recall, that laptop requires a magic word. The magic word is
yenta_socket.

Close your eyes, bow your head and chant yenta_socket a few times.

If that does not work, try googling various combinations of pcmcia,
yenta_socket, atheros, and cardmgr until you find the place to use the magic
word.

You need to use the magic word to make the pcmcia bus appear, then the atheros
driver needs to be loaded and you have to use cardmgr as you insert and remove
the card.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Road Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com