[nmglug] The OS progress,

MeanderingCode meanderingcode at aetherislands.net
Tue May 1 15:35:27 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1801 UTC, Satsangat Khalsa wrote:
> You're the bleeding edge for the group.  Better you than me;)  I presume
> you're playing with Xubuntu versus Debian with Xfce to see which one
> handles Xfce better.  I like Ubuntu variants over Debian because they
> lack a root password.  This makes them more secure.  Still trying to
> find a thinkpad to use.

That could provide some security, definitely.  In the case of Ubuntu,
however, it doesn't, because the sudoers file allows execution of all
commands as root by users in the admin group.

A more secure approach would be to restrict some commands via sudoers,
have a root password, and disallow root login through ssh and other
listening services.

Regards,
Sean