[nmglug] Thanks -re:usb drives,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:16:13 PDT 2013

NMGLuger's, Thanks to all on the session last night working on making
of a live boot usb drive. I know we didn't succeed, but we learned
much. I will review my notes from past successes and recall the new
information about grml and try to write that up. (Maybe for posting,
if somebody will check my work later.)
One thing to note now: solve hardware issues first. In yet another
resource it mentions that not all usbs were capable of being read as
bootable. I think that may be a thing of the past. Also not all low
level formating works.
Anyway we had some issues with the drive. What was of interest to me
was to review some old instructions for manually doing what tools like
netbootin and the current Ubuntu startup disk creator do via
automation. My old references were "Hacking Ubuntu" by Extremetech and
the Knoppix Documentation Wiki (from a period when a 128 mb flash
drove was discussed, so it is outdated now).
Thanks all, Ted P.