[nmglug] question about using two secure gateway devices

mike mike at mountainstatestech.com
Fri Mar 29 21:10:50 PDT 2013

I wrote a while back about needing a firewall and a way to VPN into a
network at my work.  Some good suggestions were made right here and
based on one of those, I bought a ZyXel USG 50 and I have it just about
configured but haven't gone live with it yet, I may do that over the
holiday weekend.

In the mean time, I've also been given a Juniper SSG 5 gateway device
that will be used for sending data to a state agency over VPN from this
same network. So now I am wondering how I can configure this device to
work with the ZyXel. ?

This network is using
static addresses and the LAN gateway is x.x.100.4 which is the DSL
modem right now, but will be the ZyXel when I put it on line and the
modem will become x.x.100.5.  My WAN gateway on the modem is is
x.x.x.182, the ZyXel WAN Ip is x.x.x.181 and I have several more
addresses available in that block that I can pick one from to use on the
Juniper.

Besides configuration, how to cable it seems a little confusing to me
too.  Without the Juniper, the LAN will plug into the first LAN port on
the ZyXel, and the modem into the WAN-1 port.  Where the Juniper fits
into it I'm not quite sure.  I'll probably get some assistance from the
vendor but having a little clearer idea of how it will all work ahead
of time would help.

I apologize if I've made this too lengthy or left anything out and
appreciate any comments / suggestions anyone might have.

mike