[nmglug] Beginning C Programming and AVR microcontrollers

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jun 12 12:06:49 PDT 2014

(Oops, sent this just to Mars by mistake -- sorry for the double
copy, Mars.)

J. Marsden DeLapp writes:
> If you peak under the hood of the Arduino IDE you can find that the IDE
> uses the GNU tool chain. It uses gcc-avr compiler, avr-libc C library,
> and avrdude to upload the compiled software to the microcontroller.

It does, yes.  But developing with command-line tools isn't really
supported.  I had to do a lot of research to find the right avr-g++
and avrdude flags to get my Makefiles working, and I often have to
do a lot of hand fiddling to get third-party libraries to work, or
when I upgrade to new versions of the Arduino software or a new
Arduino board.

	...Akkana