[nmglug] Beginning C Programming and AVR microcontrollers

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Thu Jun 12 12:57:53 PDT 2014

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:06:49 -0600
Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> J. Marsden DeLapp writes:
> > If you peak under the hood of the Arduino IDE you can find that the
> > IDE uses the GNU tool chain. It uses gcc-avr compiler, avr-libc C
> > library, and avrdude to upload the compiled software to the
> > microcontroller.
>
> It does, yes.  But developing with command-line tools isn't really
> supported.  I had to do a lot of research to find the right avr-g++
> and avrdude flags to get my Makefiles working, and I often have to
> do a lot of hand fiddling to get third-party libraries to work, or
> when I upgrade to new versions of the Arduino software or a new
> Arduino board.

Did you start with installing arduino-mk?

I have not tried it yet. I like the idea of using command line tools
instead of the IDE. (but not recommended for beginners)

~# apt-cache show arduino-mk
Package: arduino-mk
Version: 1.3.3-1
Installed-Size: 184
Maintainer: Debian Science Maintainers
<debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org> Architecture: all
Replaces: arduino-core (<< 1:1.0+dfsg-8)
Depends: arduino-core (>= 1:1.0+dfsg-8), python, python-serial
Breaks: arduino-core (<< 1:1.0+dfsg-8)
Description-en: Program your Arduino from the command line
 Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on
 flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists,
 designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive
 objects or environments.
 .
 This package will install a Makefile to allow for CLI programming of
the Arduino platform.
Description-md5: 1c4b5b2d695e9a08f840110f4b0fe014
Homepage: https://github.com/sudar/Arduino-Makefile
Section: electronics

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Road Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com