[nmglug] Fwd: Richard Stallman to speak in Socorro - October 31st, 2014

Arlo Barnes arlo.barnes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 17:40:34 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Sam Noble <s at mnoble.net> wrote:

> Show it as being at 6pm, so that's probably correct, but the .ics and
> .vcal files FSF is serving up have:
> DTSTART:20141031T220000Z
> DTEND:20141031T230000Z
>
> Which my owncloud etc translate to 4pm.

Although ISO 8601 is rather ugly, it is human-readable: we see the date in
the standard most-significant-first order, without any demarcating
characters (being zero-padded, each of the eight digits can never be
confused with another), then we see the time in Universal Time Coordinate,
which is separated from the date by a T (I think for time?) and followed by
a Z, which would separate the time from the local time*z*one (as
communicated by a UTC offset) if specified (which it is not).
Socorro, like everywhere in New Mexico, is in the Mountain time zone, but
like all U.S. time zones (except the areas of exception within them, like
much of Arizona) it observes daylight savings and thus has two modes,
Daylight and Standard times, so it has two offsets depending on the time of
year: UTC -6 (for MDT) and UTC -7 (for MST). Since it is not yet November
or whenever they switch over (roughly: it is summer), we are in Daylight
mode, so we are currently in UTC -6. This means to get the local time one
should subtract six hours from UTC.

The time given in the calendar files is 22, so if we subtract 6 we get 16 -
which is indeed what you got from owncloud, and separate from the 18
reported. Perhaps we should adopt Gonzales school's motto: "If you do not
want to be late, be early"? Of course, if you have other stuff going on
earlier that day like it sounded from the meeting, that might not be
practical.

I plan to hitch a ride with Max.

-Arlo James Barnes