[nmglug] hardware discussion: desktops, high performance, possibly fanless

Tim Judd tjudd2k at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 09:34:42 PDT 2015

Mark,
OEMs like Dell and Toshiba do really good when it comes to getting a silent system (even if it does have fans and stuff).  However, since they tailor all their equipment to work with Microsoft, sometimes getting GNU/FOSS to accept it as easily is a challenge.  Going pure whitebox, while I find absolutely entertaining, could mean that you have slight noise issues (had a Corsair Gaming PSU that would whine constantly, to an otherwise silent PC).
Buying a refurbished has, now, made me a fan of 3 of my last 3 refurbished purchases.  I just got a laptop, new MSRP $1699, refurbished for $199, and added $50 worth of upgrades to it.
An Intel processor is often labeled "Core Duo" or "Core Quad" - that's your real physical subprocessors.  The CPU you are handling now is just an enclosure for many processing cores.  When you add HyperThreading on it, it's only a further subset of a real core - it's not a full CPU core in of itself.  Duos come with 2 cores, hyperthreading gives you 4 executing subprocessors.  Core Quad comes with 4 cores, and hyperthreading gives you 8 executing subprocessors.  A wikipedia or other google search might have better terminology :)
Back to the choice on OEM vs shelved PCs vs do-it-yourself; all depends on what you are comfortable with.  I'll happily lend a hand or phone call if you get stuck.  OEMs probably be the most restrictive, unless their product page CLEARLY defines that it's pure F/OSS, it might need binary blobs to work.  Shelved PCs (like the ready-to-use PCs such as the Intel NUC) that might be fanless mean that they aren't very fast, and limited hardware spec wise.  Maybe only able to use 4GB ram instead of 8/16/32GB ram, maybe only 32-bit and not 64-bit, etc.  They also might be sold with a Windows COA meaning you're BUYING windows, whether you put it on or not.  Whitebox is the ONLY one that can be SURE that it's exactly what you want.  You can get some tiny footprints too, look at the Mini-ITX form factor.  The smaller you go though, the MORE you have to be alert and aware that cooling MUST be important.  Otherwise you'll cook your own components.  Again, I'll help, if you want.

You mentioned 8 core and 32GB ram - that's gonna be a sizable box (mini-ATX), and spendy too.  I could see about $350 for the CPU, and $200 for RAM there, motherboard around $200, case that will fit it, and properly cool it - about $100.  These are not prices I found an item for; these are prices probably in the range of what you asked for.  You might want more than a basic keyboard/mouse, for $100 or so, and a monitor - cheapies for $50, high end for $200+.
Everyone you will speak with will have OEMs they prefer, OEMs they hate, OEMs they have no preference for.  Dell is one I loathe and hate very very much.  Toshiba (as Arlo mentioned) is neutural with me.  I have used them, but not extensively.  I've used HP desktops and laptops before; and love them.  Lenovo (the consumer side of IBM) laptops are solid too, but with a pricetag to match.
Feel free to keep me/us in the loop, I'll help you when I can.

--Tim
 If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.
Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.