[nmglug] Hardware,

Arlo Barnes arlo.barnes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 04:01:49 PDT 2015

It did send the blank message out, although I am sure we could configure
Mailman not to do that in the future if we wanted.

I will ask my parents if I can borrow their multimeter to bring.

I am trying to upgrade my mother's laptop from Wheezy to Jessie*, but I am
having some problems because I forgot that the wireless card needs the
proprietary B45 (B for Broadcom) firmware, which I have on my external
harddrive, transferred to a USB thumb/flash/jump drive, and tried to get
the installer to see, to no avail.

I had made a netinstall CD, which got me a non-graphical base system (I do
not remember how to mount drives, install firmware, connect to the
wireless, and download additional packages when convenient commands like
iwconfig [and sudo!] are missing). I then made a non-netinstall DVD
triplet, which failed during installation for unknown-to-me optical drive
read/write reasons.

I will bring these discs and the laptop in tomorrow seeking installation
help, so I just wanted to give this heads-up email for anyone who feels up
to it.

See y'all** then!
-Arlo James Barnes

*In preparation to upgrade my own laptop after, because I need to fiddle
with a lot more user data.
**Totality of readership not guaranteed.