[nmglug] this week I start some mini-courses

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed Apr 12 19:29:03 PDT 2017

Dear nmglugers,

This week I will start teaching mini-courses during the glug
meetings.
First course will be a primer on plotting and manipulating data
files in
Python.

My 10-hour Python courses are a big part of how I get kids to use
GNU/Linux systems, and these new follow-on mini-courses (which
will runn
from 6:15pm for approx. 1.5 hours) are to keep the momentum going
for
good principled computing.

I will probably often get 2 or 1 or 0 students, and I will often
also be
able to be glug-ish with y'all.

Below is the announcement I sent to the "alumni" of my course:

-------------

--> Subject: small mini-courses to add to the "serious
    programming" course

Dear students and parents,

I have been putting together a series of small courses that can be
taught in a one or one-and-a-half hour session and which can be
taken
flexibly.

These courses are aimed at teaching how to use computer
programming to
enhance the math and science curriculum in middle and high school.

Some mini-courses will go into straight programming and media,
like
audio and video manipulation.

I will be teaching these courses on alternating Thursday evenings
(for
example, I will do one this week, tomorrow!)  Not every
alternating
Thursday, but I will announce it when I do.

Time/place will be 6:15pm at Warehouse 21, though the specific
starting
time might change.  I will announce the starting time.

The format is "come when you can": you do not have to commit; drop
in if
it works for you.

Each topic will be different, but we will repeat some of them.  In
particular, the "plotting and data files" will be a prerequisite
for
most others.

So if you can make it, please show up this Thursday, 2017-04-13,
with
your GNU/Linux laptop and we will begin with a mini-course on
plotting
and data files.