[nmglug] new "serious programming for kids" course - any old laptops?

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed Jan 25 11:06:34 PST 2017

Dear nmglugers,

On February 4th and 5th I will be teaching my programming course
for
kids.

This course requires bringing in an old computer to install
GNU/Linux,
and I try to keep a stash of laptops for students from poor
families who
cannot get hold of an old machine.

People from nmglug have been really generous in finding old
laptops and
donating them.  I have even been able to donate a couple of
laptops to
particularly enthusiastic students who had no computer at home.

If you have one that you are sure you will never use again, please
consider donating it for the course.  Anything that will run
ubuntu
12.04 is fine (1gig of RAM and up).

And if you know kids (6th grade and up for this course) who might
be
interested please pass the information to them.  Web site with
flyers
and full instructor's manual is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/santafecoding/