[nmglug] New Blood

casey dentinger casey.dentinger at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:29:55 PDT 2017

Hi, I moved to NM last year and have been lurking on this list but have
never replied.

> does anybody have a current problem with install or operation of
something?

I've got a fun one at the moment :)

I have an ASUS C201 Chromebook with a Rockchip 3288 SoC.  Google left the
keys in the bootloader so I have installed libreboot.  Now I want to run
sway, a port of the i3 window manager for Wayland.  I actually had it sort
of working in arch but the opengl enabled graphics driver (veyron_libgl)
causes wlc to segfault.  Without that driver the video was too choppy to be
enjoyable.

I would like to try updating the kernel from the ancient 3.14, but I bet
I'm going to have trouble without whatever Chromebook specific stuff it
has.  Also there is clearly a working video driver on the ChromeOs install,
but I don't know how to make arch use it.  Either way the whole install is
on a 2G microsd card so if I'm going to build a kernel I'll need to upgrade.

May also try debian or armbian, but there is no sway candidate that I know
of.

Anyway it's a pretty fiddly situation but I thought I'd throw it out!

Best
Casey