[nmglug] nmglug Albuquerque subset?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon May 15 19:41:45 PDT 2017

Tom Ashcraft writes:
> Thanks for the info, Ted.  Yes, it seems a little odd to me too that as
> large and diverse as Abq is that there is no ongoing OS/Linux group here.
> Tom

I'm a little surprised there's nothing in Los Alamos, either.
Some day I'll make it to a Santa Fe meeting, but to be honest I'm
never really sure when and where the meetings are -- I sometimes see
comments on this list about venue changes that don't seem to match the
website, and it's a long drive to be not sure if anyone will be there.

But LA does have a relatively new thing: a Coder Dojo for kids.
It's been going for about six months now at the makerspace, and we
have about nine kids who have earned belts (USB wristbands) so far,
with projects covering graphics, music, games, and web pages, in
languages that include Python, Arduino/C++, Javascript, and Scratch.
A lot of them are coding on Raspberry Pis or Chromebooks, and a few
have installed Linux as part of other projects, so there's plenty
of Linuxy energy in the room (besides me and my laptop).
New participants and mentors are welcome on Tuesday nights,
if you ever find yourself up Los Alamos way.
https://sites.google.com/view/ladojo/home

        ...Akkana