[nmglug] nmglug Albuquerque subset?

Anthony J. Bentley anthony at anjbe.name
Tue May 16 02:39:36 PDT 2017

Tom Ashcraft writes:
> It happens that I used to spend a lot of time in Manzano Mesa Multi
> Generational Center for the inexpensive gym facilities. There used to be
> and I believe there still is a pretty nicely appointed computer lab in
> there, as well as other suitable and spacious meeting rooms.  I'm pretty
> sure reservations can be made there for nominal or non-existent fees.
> Likely the other community centers around town also offer appropriate
> facilities, though MMMGC is the only one I have any direct knowledge of
> as for me it was reasonable to bicycle to.

My thoughts on locations...

Manzano Mesa would be a great location. It's a very nice facility,
close to Central Avenue (public transportation) and I-40. Like Tom,
I can bike there easily (and do, often). Has city wifi which in my
experience is satisfactory.

Quelab might be a good facility (I've never visited). It has poor bus
service, though, and I can't bike there easily. At least it's close to
the Big I. Membership is $20/mo, looks like.

UNM surely has some appropriate facility somewhere. It would be nice to
try to attract some students from there; I wasn't aware of any Unix
clubs during my time as a student (fairly recently). It has excellent
bus service, but people with cars will have a hard time finding parking.
Network connectivity for non-students is a problem that would need solving.

There are other possibilities in the more startup-y parts downtown, like
Fatpipe or the Verge building, maybe...

As was said earlier, no location will be perfect for everyone. I have to
say I find the Manzano Mesa community center the most attractive.

--
Anthony J. Bentley