[nmglug] Albuquerque Manzano Mesa Multi-generational Center; queries

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Wed May 17 23:18:30 PDT 2017

Greetings all interested Linux persons,

I took an impromptu opportunity this morning to do a casual survey of
MMMGC to ask about the possibility of Albuquerque-based nmglug mailing
list members having some meetings there.

I spoke briefly to facility coordinator Tyler Dunn who asked me which
Linux group I was talking about.  Turns out NM Computer Society-Linux
already meets there 2nd Thursdays 7:15-8:45 pm. Anyone already familiar
with this group?

If I remember correctly Tyler also said that either he was personally
active in, or had at least attended meetings, himself.

Tyler introduced me to Ed Cardona, MMMGC computer lab director, who gave
me something of an overview of the needs and characteristics of
established lab users.  Much of it I frankly can't remember well as
there were considerable distractions at hand, both in the facility, and
between my ears.  For instance, several machines had just been hit by
viruses.  But significant points are as follows:

Previously limited access had recently been extended--solely by virtue
of the continued presence and willingness of volunteer monitors--to the
full range of MMMGC open hours (Ed listed these to me as 9-12 T,Th; 1-3
M,W; 9-3 F,Sat.)

Availability of said hours might easily be torpedoed in the event of any
sort of property mishap (theft, damage, sabotage, etc.)

A lot of structured classes take place in the facility; other groups use
it frequently.  I think Ed also said there either was an ongoing Linux
class affiliated with Sandia Lab employees or there had been at one
time.  Someone said they had often found Linux discs left behind in the
drives.  Point being that there are considerable competing needs for
access to the very nice but limited computer resources.

Aside from the lab there are also several (three, I think)
classroom-size rooms, all of which? are furnished with a monitor and
projector.  I didn't tour the rooms, but from prior visits I remember
lots of chairs and plenty of table space. We'd be encouraged to use
these spaces if/when more appropriate than the computer lab.

Also, as I remember it, there are two large lobbies with comfortable
tables and chairs, public Wifi and a large dining/event area all of
which are available for casual non-reserved use by small informal
groups, excepting meal-serving and reserved/scheduled-event times.

Ed mentioned too that he knew of another Linux group that meets at the
Bear Canyon community center.  He's going to send me the name and email
address of the leader.  I'm not really clear on whether this is a group
or a taught class, but I gathered the impression it's a group similar to
nmglug.  Does anybody know about this group?

Finally, I emailed Ed to state that I would try to gather assessments of
or gage desire for actual use of the lab computers versus simpler and
more available meeting/presentation/discussion/workspace, etc.--which I
am hereby doing...

Additionally,Tyler asked if, and I think--in my state of near complete
ignorance--that it might also be appropriate to gage how much overlap
and interest there is in possibly coordinating meetings with either or
both of the other Linux groups  mentioned above.  How much, if anything,
does anyone know or care about the NM Computer Society-Linux and the
Bear Canyon Linux group?  I can sort of guess and I imagine one or both
have webpages, but for now I'll just put it out there in case there are
other clueless Albuquerque newbies like myself who'd like to know what
everybody else knows, or doesn't.

Tom in Albuquerque