[nmglug] Albuquerque Manzano Mesa Multi-generational Center; queries

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Thu May 18 07:18:39 PDT 2017

Thanks for the feedback, Anthony, and the link.  I'll take a look.

Personally, as a newbie, I'm interested and invested in gaining a modest
facility with Linux for both philosophical and practical reasons.

Definitely I identify as a Linux convert, but I see myself mostly as a
layperson who is someone attracted, but not called, to both the choir
and aspects of evangelism.  I'm not really particularly religious, but I
am someone who has spent considerable time wandering in the wilderness
and therefore sees the potential virtue of coming together with others
as one from time to time.

At the risk of providing "too much information" I'll mention to
everybody that I feel that my life path has been both enabled and
damaged by the influence of what I think of as rather nefarious
corporate institutions such as Microsoft, Autodesk, and Comcast. Also, I
frequently have dark obsessive thoughts of Windows as an infantalizing
and addictive technology, one that has been intentionally created and
utilized as much for purposes of social control and economic enslavement
as for any other reasons.

So I'm a bit prone to the ill effects of computer hypnosis and I tend to
want to be able to understand and control my technology and thereby
avoid the reverse relationship.  I like to tinker.  I admire the
power--but am largely ignorant of--the control line interface.  I am
willing to give, but mostly I need, some help. Within reasonable limits.