[nmglug] The troubled laptop,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:46:58 PST 2018

NMGLugers, Well this is trivial compared to the e-mail issues. My G570
still has display errors, but now running Debian Stretch (9.6) I see a way
forward.
I had to re-install Stretch from my own media, but it went quickly at home.
Updated and looked for CPU tools and found iucode-tool, intel-microcode and
firmware-misc-nonfree. Too bad about the last item, but some of the CPU
microcode is non-free.
I seem to be a little better, and time will tell. I had one screen
disturbance today, but also one "Battery is Full" notice without a screen
mishap. (the screen goes all snowy white and pastel for those not at our
meeting.)
I will continue testing and see if the microcode can fix BIOS
errors/omissions as advertised.
Thanks for all the help, Ted P.