[nmglug] Cloudflare /etc/systemd/resolved.conf versus /etc/netplan/*.yaml; Avahi

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 12:24:52 PST 2018

Hey Anthony, Jared, and Eric,

I really can't thank you enough for all the insights and direct assistance
you've recently provided in relation to my difficulties with Thunderbird and
Cloudflare.

My interest in Cloudflare is two-fold.

First, perhaps from NMCSLUG meetings, Anthony may remember that for some time
I've had this notion that maybe if I got set up to use Cloudflare I would be
to some extent bypassing Comcast's undesirable potential for abusing it's
position as a gatekeeper.

Second, through his help with troubleshooting the quirky behavior of my
instances of Thunderbird and IMAP servers under Kubuntu 18.04 (multiple,
thanks to Jared), Anthony posited that symptoms indicate problems with local
networking.  Hence, he suggested that I should reset DNS servers to Google or
Cloudflare and try again, presumably to confirm and narrow things down.

Whereupon I remembered old roadblocks and confusion I'd encountered some
months back trying to get my computer to talk to Cloudflare servers.  (No
problem with Win 10 VMs, but no recommendations seemed to apply properly to my
particular Linux circumstances.)  So after whining to but not hearing back
from Anthony, on whom I did not wish to overly presume, I put to NMGLUG my
recent query for assistance with Cloudflare.

Shortly thereafter Anthony chimed in again and very generously and quickly
substantially reproduced, validated and overcame difficulties and concerns I'd
had previously.  He documented his journey and solution  for me in a clear and
comprehensive how-two (ultimately modify /etc/systemd/resolved.conf and
restart resolved).

Also, simultaneously, Eric responded with great information about Netplan,
something I'd never even heard of (new to Kubuntu as of 18.04; configure the
entry in a yaml file you'll find in /etc/netplan; a link to Netplan examples).

>From my readings, Netplan seems to imply a very elegant solution approach that
appears to me to have potentially broader applicability, considering both of
the interests I mentioned above.

I've tried to poke around and grok everything; and, I intend to give it all
further study.  But obviously I'm thinking it can't hurt to submit this
summary for further discussion and suggestions from any interested
participants and observers before I start monkeying around again.

I'll be working on it all as time and opportunity presents.  But at the
moment, I'm not yet particularly confident that I possess sufficient
comprehension of the issues so that I won't screw up something important.

Clearly, backups of involved files are in order, etc.  It's all still pretty
scary to me.  Thank you for patiently holding my hand and not telling me to go
RTFMP.

Also, I thought I might ask about Avahi.  Might it also be involved; should it
be taken into consideration?

Tom