[nmglug] Cloudflare /etc/systemd/resolved.conf versus /etc/net plan/*.yaml; Avahi

Alucard alucard at swcp.com
Mon Dec 10 13:43:32 PST 2018

Hi Tom,

If I was in your shoes, I would add Cloudflare's DNS to your router,
instead of your PC. That way you don't have to worry about setting it up
each time you distro-hop.

Though if you're trying to ask if adding the DNS record is better
through /etc/systemd/resolved.conf or /etc/netplan/*.yaml. I would
suggest going with netplan, as long as it's *already* in play.

If netplan isn't setup, I would just add the DNS changes to
resolved.conf and reload the daemon.

I'm on KDE Neon 18.04 (at work) and I don't have any files in /etc/netplan/

When I install Arch Linux, I typically use systemd-networkd. It has
handled everything I have thrown at it. Including switch between two
NICs based on what is plugged in.

I have had no experience with Netplan, and probably never will. Since
you're probably are going to want to change your DNS on every device, I
would still change it on the router. Then have all devices point to your
router for DNS.

-- Jared