[nmglug] freeBSD

Anthony J. Bentley anthony at anjbe.name
Mon Dec 31 14:38:17 PST 2018

> On 12/31/18 2:31 PM, Jonathan Haack wrote:
> > Also ... imho, the BSD license is not FOSS.  Its OS (open source) - and
> > I think post-TIVOization, that open source and free software mean
> > different things now.  Sorry if I trigger anyone ... just my opinion.

That opinion isn't shared by the FSF, who consider permissive licenses
to be "free" by their own definition.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html

Of course, FSF does claim that "free" and "open source" are different.
But they don't claim that permissive licenses, as a type, are not free.

By your definition, Linux would not be FOSS, since the kernel is
licensed under the GPL version 2, and subject to Tivoization. The FSF
came up with the term "Tivoization" in response to the kernel's license.

--
Anthony J. Bentley