[nmglug] freeBSD

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon Dec 31 14:24:39 PST 2018

Hey Jonathan,

Why on earth did it take 12 hours indeed! Primarily because I started
with a .vdi on virtualbox and that was useless so then I snagged an .iso
and installed that. Many attempts to download ports because of network
errors, which I obviously resolved. I didn't want to be root user but
have my user account and that was made more difficult by having to get
X11 working as I also wanted a GUI and had to set up conf files that
weren't automagically set up. (It is a 20 minute install with no GUI!) I
had to append several of them, adding glarb from my google searches to
them and also using my sad intuitive abilities to determine where these
files were or if they needed to be created. Yes and yes. I'm using MATE
primarily because of the modifications and additions, again, to files to
get Gnome3, according to the wiki (not ready for 11 apparently from the
messages on the forums. I'd like to know how you installed it) or KDE,
which I don't care for. I also added the guest additions which are not
installed as they are for any other guest OS.

I only do this to play with a UNIX OS and to learn from that. Linux is
not UNIX, as you know, so I'm interested to expand my knowledge base.

I have installed and played with Slackware and tried Gentoo but it is
not easy (Gentoo).

My FOSS ? is to get a sense of it. I'm all FOSS as much as possible but
veer from time to time for ease of use. Like, is there a FOSS version of
googleearth? No. and I used GE to create maps that I needed for my
defense in a felony case against me from Standing Rock. Blew the
prosecution away as the maps completely contradicted the affidavits of
the "witnesses" and police. I would have had a very difficult time doing
that work otherwise.

So power to FOSS! But when push comes to shove and there's no real
alternative....well?