[nmglug] Good bye to the Toshiba,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 09:37:24 PDT 2018

NMGLugers, Well, I am dismantling the 2004 Toshiba Satellite and using
a few of the parts, but it was not up to current use even with the
Peppermint OS. The heat issue and occasional keyboard failures as well
as memory and speed limitations made further efforts Sisyphean.
So, on to further work with newer and older machines. Several friends
are using Gnu/Linux and getting browsing and e-mail done and happy
enough with these tasks.
I did discover Quod Libet, a music player with built-in web-stream
browser. This brings me back to the practice of listening to streaming
audio and the many choices out there and also the fun of tuning in to
New South Wales or a Paris suburb for radio chatter. this is something
like the fun of short wave radio in shrinking the world and bringing
distant lands to me here in the USA. By the way event the old Toshiba,
32-bit and less than 1GB of memory was a perfectly good player. It was
too bulky to keep for that purpose, but it did work well. Nice enough
speakers on it, too.
I will bring the hard drive with Peppermint 8, 32-bit and a couple of
disks to our meeting on the 19th so anybody who wants to try it at
home can do so.
In the meantime I have a slightly newer laptop running Debian
9/Stretch and doing much better. A whopping 2GB ram and better
processor making this one worthwhile.
See you at the 'GLUG, Ted P.