[nmglug] Peppermint OS progress of sorts

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:28:47 PDT 2018

NMGLugers, I did convert to Debian Stretch on this rather older
laptop. It runs well enough and avoided some of the builtin
difficulties of the Peppermint OS. But I found an old hdd, so now have
installed Peppermint OS 8 again and worked to iron out some of the
bugs and settings not to my liking. Browser still an issue with 70-80%
of cpu consumed. Elinks, non-gui browser much better and quicker.
Oddly, dvd and video play as well as one would expect on older
processor.
For those interested I will try to remember to bring laptop and both
hdd's to the meeting on July 5th. Also a Peppermint OS Live/Install
disk to pass along. The developers figured to save hdd space by
relying on web applications and ICE-SSB, their use of browser to
"select site browse" locking the session to one site with their app. I
don't see the logic of that for older processors. It makes this unit
crawl and stall. Interesting parallel with educational test sites that
lock the browser so you cannot get the answer from Wikipedia.
Thank you, Ted P.