[nmglug] (no subject)

okeefe at cybermesa.com okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Mar 18 13:58:50 PDT 2018

On Sat, March 17, 2018 7:51 pm, Mark Galassi wrote:

> Too much in this thread for me to have read it all, but I have
> handled
> these often.
>
> The things to do from a virtual console are to
logged in as me, ubuntu at ubuntu then ran commands as below:

> sudo apt /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
> sudo apt /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
the 2 commands above stopped process & 2 below "command not found"
apt isn't in the command so ran without it and dm commands worked
> sudo apt /etc/init.d/kdm stop
> sudo apt /etc/init.d/xdm stop

> and so on for any *dm.  Then you try your startx.  You can also
> try a
> restart on the less flakey display managers, like gdm3 ("sudo
> /etc/init.d/gdm3 restart")
gdm3 restart failed so ran-
"$systemctl status gdm.service:
Starting GNOME Display Manager....
gdm.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Failed to start GNOME Display Manager
gdm.service: Unit entered failed state
gdm.service: Triggering ONFailure=dependencies
gdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
gdm.service" Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart
Stopped GNOME Display Manager
gdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly
Failed to start GNOME Display manager"
"$sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart"
This opened Graphical display as before but as ubuntuguest autologin and
switching back to tty1 is me logged in as ubuntu. So I cannot switch from
the graphical XFCE ubuntuguest to a vt as ubuntuguest. I cannot quit the
GUI guest and a logout graphically just restarts the GUI. A GUI restart
reboots the computer into a black screen with a throbbing "Kubuntu" that
vanishes and screen goes grey with no GUI visible.
Switching to tty1 and startx says X already running so stop lightdm and
restart it. XFCE desktop opens as ubuntuguest (makes sense)

> If you are experimenting with our GUI running you can run "startx -- :2"
> (or :3 or higher) to see what happens.
>
> For this list attaching the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log might be
> useful
Virtually (!) impossible as I cannot copy the log to this machine from the
goofy one and I cannot type it as it is thousands of lines

> as well as transcripts of startx with different displays like :2 or :3.
>
> On thing I'm not clear on is what really happens when you power on the
> computer.

See above

  Your original email (I was unable to follow all the
> followups) does not make it clear if that first login you do is
> graphical or on a virtual text console.
>
> If the former, then the whole rest of the message is strange
> because
> starting X from an alread-graphical situation is not the thing to try.
>
> If that first login is on a virtual text console then your
> situation
> seems to be that you booted and it came up with vt1 instead of
> vt7, but
> at the same time automatically logged you in as guest on vt7.  I have
> never seen that, and it smells of some weird mucking with user
> accounts.
> Make sure that guest is not set to automatically log in.
>
> Among other problems with the precision of this problem report is that
> you don't mention what desktop is your default,

Was Gnome and now, no matter logged in as me or guest, is XFCE but only
opens as guest and no graphical or text way to switch user.

> and which one comes up
> when you go to vt7 and are logged in as guest.

XFCE

  Maybe it's in the many