[nmglug] a report on Brian's computer woes

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Sun Mar 18 23:09:43 PDT 2018

I met with Brian for a bit this afternoon to look at the X problem
he
had.

I think the main issue is that this machine dates at least from an
ubuntu 12.x installation.  In the course of all the upgrades and
the
superposition of window managers and underlying widget libraries
the
various config files got confused, and some binaries just plain
don't
run.

I started with an immediate snapshot of essential files, then
experimented with config files for the various desktop
environments and
display managers:

rsync -av /home/loginname/
/mnt/whereImountedtheexternaldrive/backup-home-loginname

The only one I could get to invoke properly was the lxubuntu
display
manager lxdm, so I installed it, enabled it with a "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure any_dm" and picking lxdm.

That allowed us to log in properly because it did not inherit
weird
guest account setups and did not use fancy widget sets.

I then recommended that it would not be time-effective to restore
all
config files (some experiments with --purge and --reinstall did
not
help).  The advice I gave was to use the backup we made and
install
16.04 from scratch.  I left Brian with a script to pick that rsync
up
again.

Lots of other weird things about the system -- it had been patched
up a
bit inorganically and possibly off-paradigm for package
management, but
the data was recoverable.  Being a 3.5gig machine it should work
well
with a new install and firefox quantum.