[nmglug] Meeting this week;

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon May 21 21:48:36 PDT 2018

Thanks Ted. What time at Baking Co.? I may try to get there if I can get
a lift from my wife who has a similar time slot when she's out, 6-7:30.
I'm still dealing with my OS breakdown and have done a few things.
Briefly, I cloned my SSD to a new SSD and then analysed it with TestDisk
(comes with Parted Magic and is a bootable CD). Found a ton of deleted
folders that disappeared when I did the update as per the urging of
Update Manager and toasted my 1.04 OS. TestDisk shows all the file
structure in a partition, my Linux primary, both existing and the
deleted folders that it can find. I had lost a major folder I named
"Miscellany" (lots of important files over the years) and it shows up
but has no files. My Music folder also shows up as not deleted but has
no content either. There are hundreds of deleted files, of course as
they haven't yet been overwritten (or they wouldn't show up). So I've
lost at least the content of 2 major folders or the folder itself and
apparently many others since I can't run Ubuntu Desktop. Which are what
I can't begin to know and trying to restore them all so that Ubuntu
16.04 works again would be difficult beyond measure! TestDisk is a
pretty amazing tool and I could show it off. It gives one the chance to
recover those deleted folders and copy and then restore them. I have so
many deleted files that I have no idea how I would ever determine which
are ones I want/need to add to a new 18.04 install. I also want to
migrate all of my browser, email, etc. from my hacked firefox and
thunderbird (had to to get them to work with my address books,
bookmarks, etc. that the newest versions don't see for some reason). If
I can make it I can bring the Parted Magic disk, my new USB 1TB drive
that has my cloned SSD on it. The rsync that you helped me with Mark, is
not bootable nor readable with test disk except with Parted Magic file
browser (no deleted folders or files though as only TestDisk does that)
and not from my current ldxe desktop file browser. It shows up as a
bootable image but I get a grub error and a rescue prompt, with which I
know not what to do. So a long story and I'm not even sure i can manage
the meeting but I'd like to try.

Brian