[nmglug] Purism/Librem phone app development

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue May 29 08:54:17 PDT 2018

Researcher Taylor writes:
>    I am interested in having a discussion on app/software development on
>    the Purism/PureOS Linux based smartphone.  This is the only company I
>    know of that has made a serious effort to actually have their design
>    put into production.  Web address:
>            [1]https://puri.sm/
>    Their phone is called a "Librem"

I'd be interested in that discussion (I have several apps that would
be useful on a Linux-based phone), but https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
says "Works with 2G/3G/4G, GSM, UMTS, and LTE networks" -- does that
mean it doesn't work with Verizon? Around Los Alamos and even in
Santa Fe I had trouble getting a signal when I was with T-mobile,
and I had to switch to a Verizon-based MVNO. As far as I can tell,
that rules out the Librem as well as all the phones supported by
Ubuntu Phone and Lineage.

        ...Akkana