[nmglug] Weirdness

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Wed Apr 10 10:26:25 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Since I may not make meeting (niece visiting and Thurs. is her last day)
I'm putting my issue out for comment and hopefully answers. As many of
you know I used to updgrade instead of clean installs and did that since
Ubuntu 6.04. I had also added many apps from third parties and also
modified many, many conf files to keep things working. I had a meltdown
and lost much of my data but following a partial recovery, thanks to a
certain group member, I installed a clean version of 18.04 onto a new
1TB SSD. I have ot tinkered at all with 3rd party software nor modified
any conf files or been a bad boy in any way!

My issue ids that I cannot shut down my box in anyway other than a hard
shutdown. I also cannot restart it. I have tried the GUI option as well
as switching to text mode and using "sudo shutdown now" or "sudo restart
now". In those cases I get the splash screen with the "traveling lights"
and Unutu but it hangs there. The traveling dots hang on the first dot
of the splash screen and nothing happens. I had hoped that text mode
would give give me an indication of the issues but I can't stay in that
mode for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

Brian