[nmglug] Comcast and Thunderbird Blues Reprise

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 17 12:16:03 PDT 2019

It's happening again.  And no, I'm not off my meds, but I'm beginning to
wonder if perhaps I should be on some as this stuff is starting to make
me feel really crazy.

Anyone know their way around the .thunderbird directories well enough to
point me toward the likely suspects?

First, Comcast apparently configured our rented modem-router in such a
way that imap.comcast.net failed in all instances of Thunderbird on
different machines in our house.  I eventually discovered and adopted
the workaround of using imap.ge.xfinity.com (perfectly functional, but
with invalid certificate problems, probably due to my lack of knowledge
or comprehension or motivation or time to figure it all out.)

Next, I purchased our own modem-router and soon discovered that with the
new router imap.comcast.net works fine in all instances on different
machines in our house.  So I set 'em all back to imap.comcast.net
recommended defaults.  Smooth sailing until...

Now, after a couple or three weeks of successful use, I discover that on
my wife's machine that both  instances of Thunderbird in separate user
accounts accounts have stopped downloading emails with
imap.comcast.net.  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 kicks up little screen messages
saying that it can't connect with imap.ge.xfinity.com--which, of course,
it shouldn't now be trying to do because server settings in both
accounts are configured for imap.comcast.net

Where do these gremlins reside and from whence did they come?  Is it
witchcraft?  I put it to the council:  Should someone be burned at the
stake or is it only a wee misunderstanding?