[nmglug] Unsure about 3 Jan - stuck in snowy mountains near Mora re: fresh install

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Wed Jan 2 21:25:08 PST 2019

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I hope to be in Santa Fe tomorrow, but I'm not sure. If I'm there,
I'll have a new laptop ready for a fresh install. To understand this,
see below. I sent a message to the list, but I sent it form a
different email address, so it got discarded. The original email is
pasted below.

Update:
After reading the original email below. here's the update. I've heard
that all three items have arrived in Santa Fe. All that's needed now
is for me to get myself to Santa Fe. I'm in the mountains near Mora,
NM. The plow truck got stuck trying to plow the deep snow. I'm not
sure when' I'll be able to get out and back to Santa Fe. If I'm in
Santa Fe tomorrow, I'll be a at the Baking Co. in the evening, ready
for a fresh install.

Original email:

Ready for fresh install on Thu 3 Jan, I hope

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I'm hoping to be there on Thu 3 Jan. I just ordered three items: a
Lenovo thinkpad X240 laptop, a 1TB SSD pro, and a HDD enclosure. I
just got emails this morning that all three should be arriving
tomorrow. I'll be leaving today for a silent retreat for a week. You
can read about that here
http://www.leroydiener.com/spirit/enlightenment-intensive-5-day-new-years-nm-28-dec-3-jan/
if you're interested. A friend will receive the items for me while I'm
absent. I'll get them in my hands on 3 Jan when I return to Santa Fe.

Thank you all, especially Jason, for your help in getting me to where
I'm at now.

I think that the plan is to removed the platter drive which comes with
the X240 and put that into the HDD enclosure to make it into an
external HDD and to put the SSD into the laptop and do a fresh
install.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to first test out all of the
hardware to make sure it's all working properly with the Windows
system which comes on the platter drive first, before tinkering with
stuff and not knowing if a problem is related to faulty hardware or a
problem with the driver. I'm not sure.

I'm looking forward to this project. By the way, I have two other
laptops onto which I also want to install Linux.

LeRoy

--
I am the Love of God, no matter what.
LeRoy Diener