[nmglug] Moving files; Re: Fwd: Google Contacts (...); Linux and Android 8.0

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 12 14:27:21 PST 2019

On 1/12/19 1:14 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Tom Ashcraft writes:
>> Another annoyance is that between Kubuntu 18.04 laptop and Android 8,0
>> phone, file transfers seem to go only one way, i.e. from the phone to the
>> laptop but not from the laptop to the phone.
> The only reliable way I've found to move files bidirectionally since
> they removed usb-storage in KitKat is adb push and pull. You still
> can't access everywhere on the phone (for instance, there's no
> reliable way to back up things like contacts or calendar entries),
> but it works for most files I need to sync, like music, maps and
> books. Since there's no way to run rsync over adb I wrote an
> elaborate python script to keep local and phone directories in
> sync via adb (not posting a link here since it isn't well tested,
> but if you want to live dangerously, ask).
>
> If you have root on your phone, there are lots of other options:
> backup and sync apps, ssh daemons, rsync daemons, etc. My phone
> isn't rooted so none of those help, since a non-root Android app
> can't write outside its own directory.
>
>          ...Akkana

All of the above is very interesting, Akkana.

Music, maps and books is about all I envision as ever needing to move.
Ripped CDs, podcasts and audio books, the occasional large .pdf and .mp3
file are mostly what I care about.  I don't need or desire to do any
full backups or major syncing.

(Well, as an aside, I'll go ahead and throw out for general comment that
since I've gone from having Windows 7-and-Linux dual boot machines to
Linux machines with Windows 10 in virtual machines only, that access to
my iTunes music collection was effectively nuked and now all my music
mostly resides only on a deprecated iPod 3 touch.  I have yet to figure
out a way to move all that material around that actually works
reasonably well; that is, how to move all the music off the iPod, into
Linux laptop(s) and Android phone SD card.  I haven't entirely ruled out
physically moving an SD card in and out of the phone, but that option
strikes me as being unwise given the exceedingly compact and fragile
arrangement.)

Your mention of adb and a glance at a quick-and-dirty Duck Duck Go
search leads me to believe that it might be worth exploring, but I have
no prior familiarity.

I know just about enough about scripts and Python to be dangerous,
though I might be able to follow explicit instructions or clear examples.

My grasp of coding and configuration issues in general is pretty weak,
but it does appear that my installed Ghost Commander app can give me all
the access to root I might need.  I just don't really know what to do
with it.  Apparently I can ftp with and get an ssh plugin for Ghost
Commander too.

But again, I don't know that I have the judgement or experience to
determine what the most appropriate approaches might be.

Further explication and suggestions are welcome from all who might care
to offer.

Thanks,

Tom